Ready to Arrive
Items provided by University Housing
- Twin-sized bed: see below for mattress sizes by hall
- Study desk
- Desk chair
- Closet or bureau/wardrobe
Provided one per room:
- Wireless Internet connection
- Cable TV outlet, including digital cable
Things NOT to bring
- Air conditioners – including window and portable units.
- Animals other than service animals or small, harmless fish. Aquariums can be no larger than 20 gallons.
- Candles (lit or unlit), incense and open flame/open coil activated potpourri.
- Cooking equipment with an open heating coil (toasters, toaster ovens, hot plates, etc. — any appliance with a heating element you can touch and/or see glowing when on).
- Electric blankets or bed warmers.
- Fragile or irreplaceable items
- Space heaters (of any type).
- Lighting fixtures using any halogen light bulbs.
- Multi-plug outlet adapters or power strips without an internal circuit breaker.
- Nails or other fasteners for walls for more information.
- Grills and/or smokers;
- Electric steam grills
- Upholstered furniture that is not fire retardant.
- Wading pools, spas.
- Water coolers.
- Weapons (bladed, blunt, projectile, etc.), explosives and fireworks.
- Other items prohibited by law and/or University policy.
Suggested items for your room
- Alarm clock
- Closet curtain and tension rod
The following halls have open-face closets: Humphreys, Pomfret, Reid and Yocum. The closets are approximately 48″ wide and 96″ high.
- First aid kit
- Flashlight and batteries
- Small tools – pliers, measuring tape, scissors, rubber mallet for lofts, etc.
- Clothes hangers
- Surge protector:
- Extension cord
- Extension cord cover
- Cord organizer
With all the electrical equipment that students tend to bring, it is a good idea to have at least one surge protector with an internal circuit breaker per roommate.
- Desk lamp: no halogen bulbs
- Photos, posters, other decorations: Bring a little bit of home with you.
- Approved Fasteners: When putting up posters, please use removable adhesive strips (3M Command Strips) or white sticky tack(removable poster putty) on concrete cinder-block walls (primarily in Pomfret, Yocum, Humphreys, Futrall, Gibson, Gregson, Holcombe, and Reid Halls, plus cinder-block walls in Hotz).
- Please use “MonkeyHooks” in Maple Hill, NW Quad, Founders, the Duncan Avenue Apartments and dry-walled rooms in Hotz. Using nails, screws, staples, etc., to attach items to walls or furnishings is prohibited on campus.
Order a microfridge, safe, campus mats, care package or linens
University Housing, Residents’ Interhall Congress (RIC) and the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) work with the following vendors to provide shopping options for you that benefit your student organizations on campus.
- Roomify: Customized room packages including linens – order before Aug. 1. Proceeds benefit RIC. Use discount code ‘UARK’ when ordering.
- Collegiate Concepts: Rent micro-fridges, buy electronic safes and campus mats. Proceeds benefit RIC.
- SWAKU: Care packages! Proceeds benefit NRHH.
Getting ready to move on campus and need some decorating ideas? No need to go off campus to shop – the University Bookstore can help! Don’t forget to check out the Walmart on Campus in the Garland Center.
Mattress sizes by hall
- Mattress pad
- Pillow(s) and
- Blanket(s), comforter
Regular twin sheets fit a 75” twin mattress and XL twin sheets fit an 80” mattress. A flat sheet is best for an 84” mattress.
Mattress Sizes by Hall
|Residence Hall||Mattress Size||Residence Hall||Mattress Size|
|Buchanan/Droke||Door Side: Regular twin: 36″ x 75″ Window Side: Long twin: 36″ x 80″||Maple Hill East||Long twin: 36″ x 80″|
|Founders||Long twin: 36″ x 80″||Maple Hill South||Regular twin: 36″ x 75″
Second-floor: Long twin: 36” x 80”
|Futrall||Door Side: Regular twin: 36″ x 75″ Window Side: Long twin: 36″ x 80″||Maple Hill West||Long twin: 36″ x 80″|
|Gibson||Long twin: 36″ x 80″||Northwest Quad||Long twin: 36″ x 80″|
|Gladson-Ripley||Long twin: 36″ x 80″||Pomfret||Regular twin: 36″ x 75″|
|Gregson||Long twin: 36″ x 80″||Reid||Door Side: Regular twin: 36″ x 75″ Window Side: Long twin: 36″ x 80″ Rooms ending in -23 and -08 both long twins|
|Holcombe||Long twin: 36″ x 80″||Walton North||Long Twin: 36” x 80”|
|Hotz Honors||Long twin: 36″ x 80″||Walton South||Long twin: 36″ x 80″|
|Humphreys||Regular twin: 36″ x 75″||Yocum||Door Side: Regular twin: 36″ x 75″ Window Side: Long twin: 36″ x 80″|
Lofting your bed
Halls That Require a FIX IT request for Lofting
- Maple Hill South
- Northwest Quad
Lofts are of wood construction. Most beds can be raised to 36″ without lofting and up to twice that once lofted. Submit a FIX IT request during July if you want your bed lofted by your arrival time. It’s important that you list the right room and bed in the form when you make this request. That information is available through the Housing portal where you completed the contract.
Bathroom and showers
- Shower sandals
- Shower caddy
- Toothbrush case
- Soap case
- Toilet paper – for Maple Hill Halls & the Northwest Quad
- Bathroom cleaning supplies – for Maple Hill Halls & the Northwest Quad
- Dryer sheets
- Laundry bag or basket
- Drying rack
- Optional: Iron (UL approved) and mini ironing board
Each hall is equipped with coin-free washers and dryers. Residents pay a one time laundry charge as part of their housing rate.
- Coffee maker – UL approved, including personal use Keurig® coffee makers
- Microwave oven – no larger than 0.7 cubic feet
- Refrigerator – Energy Star™ compliant units no larger than 3.2 cubic feet
- Microwave safe plates and bowls
- Electronic Safe: Students should consider using a safe to protect valuables such as laptops, jewelry, cash, credit cards, etc. If you do bring a safe, we recommend one that includes a tether so it can be looped through the bed frame or other large object, since you will not be able to bolt the safe in place.
- Storage items: Stackable crates, drawers and boxes that will fit under the bed will help keep you organized and allow for efficient use of space.